In 2013, the New York Times coined Nashville as the new “it” city. Maybe they’ve made this claim about other cities since, but make no mistake; Nashville is no flavor of the week…or even of the year. We’re still growing, entertaining and booming five years later. This means more companies than ever are looking for fun and unique group activities in Nashville.
This, of course, makes us ecstatic! We’ve always known how great this city is. When I began my music team building business over ten years ago it made sense to me that people would want to come to Music City to make music, to be entertained, and to have fun!
There are lots of options for group activities in Nashville so I thought I’d take time to help you find things to do that will appeal to your group. My personal focus is on team building and corporate events, so I’m going to share some of my favorite and most fun programs Music City offers. All of these work for both professional teams and personal leisure groups.
How To Find A Truly Fun Thing To Do
When you’re not from a particular city, sometimes it’s hard to know where to begin. How do you go about finding what you’re looking for?
From years of experience working with clients who are looking for ideas, I’ve found that there are several foundational elements to keep in mind. Keeping these common elements in mind when you’re searching will help you pull off a successful program that keeps your people engaged and helps them bond.
- Make it Fun – This point might seem redundant because I put the word, “fun” in the title of this blog, but it bears repeating: never underestimate the value of having FUN with your co-workers or group. Poet and author, Annie Dillard, once said, “How we spend our days is, of course, how we spend our lives,” and many of us see our co-workers more than our own families. So, why in the world would you not want to enjoy these people? Fun builds trust, brings people together, and makes memories for a lifetime.
- Get Out of the Office – Spending quality time outside the office has major value, as well. Walls come down and people are often willing to reveal their more relaxed, creative side. This leads to authentic connection, which leads to stronger teams.
- Location, Location, Location – If you’re looking to come to Nashville for your next group activity, then take advantage of what makes Nashville unique. Examples include working with hit songwriters, taking in a sporting event, or planning a dinner at the George Jones museum or the Country Music Hall of Fame. The options are endless!
Top 5 Fun Group Activities in Nashville
Although I’m originally from New York, I consider Music City home. My wife and I raised our children here. This is where I became a hit songwriter. And so I do think I’m qualified to suggest uniquely Nashville activities that will wow your group. Here are a few of my favorites.
- Watch the Music – Country stars like Brad Paisley and Carrie Underwood and rockstar favorites like Sheryl Crow and Kings of Leon call Nashville home. You can often see your favorite musicians performing at a variety of venues nearly every night of the week. So gather up your group and enjoy a collective experience at the Ryman, Grand Ole Opry, Ascend Amphitheater or Marathon Music Works. For a more intimate experience and “behind the scenes” look at the people who created the hits, take in a show at the famous Bluebird Cafe. But make your reservation well in advance because this tiny venue fills up quickly!
- Create the Music – Yes, you can actually become a real songwriter in Nashville. Here at Kidbilly Music we provide musical team building in Nashville. You’ll have the opportunity to work with CMA and ACM winning, Grammy nominated hit songwriters to craft your team’s story and sing your song! No matter the size of your group, this is a fun, creative and highly interactive way to spend time together. Plus, you’ll come away with a tangible keepsake: a recording of the song you wrote.
- Feel the Magic – Travel underground through a secret tunnel and into a world of magic at House of Cards. This can be a more pricey, upscale option for a celebratory dinner or special group occasion. A full-on magic show is included with your entree. Or you can keep it lower-key (and more budget friendly) by just grabbing some drinks in the bar area as illusionists stationed throughout the venue entertain you with tricks and card games. Don’t forget to abide by their dress code, or else your group might be asked to disappear (Ha! See what I did there?).
- Play Ball – Nashville has become quite the hot spot for professional and semi-pro sports. Depending on the time of year you plan to visit, you can take your pick to see The Predators (our Division Champion pro hockey team), Titans Football, the newly instated Nashville Soccer Club, The Sounds semi-pro baseball team, and even some high-action roller derby. We’ve got the sports fans in your group covered! Even for the casual fan, getting caught up in a game while relaxing with a few drinks can be one of your best bets for group activities in Nashville.
- Embrace Your Inner Foodie – Frankly, our city’s food options are really delicious. In the past five years or so, Nashville has placed itself on the culinary map by attracting top chefs from around the world and new restaurants are popping up almost daily. Let Nashville Food Adventures take you on a walking or driving sightseeing tour, while enjoying a multi-course culinary experience along the way. Nashville’s history never tasted so good!
Pulling off a fun group activity in Nashville shouldn’t cause you stress. There’s so much here to choose from. Take time to explore and step into a city rich in southern history, storytelling, creativity, athleticism, and more.